Not Enough Hours. Or Packing Tape.

Posted By on May 3, 2009

I ran out of packing tape this afternoon. I’ve gone through 2 1/2 rolls of tape so far. I am a notorious overtaper. (Side note: Am I the only one who has to sing the Biggie song to properly spell Notorious? Same goes for glamorous.) Once I ran out of the tape, I should have gone out to get more. There are two CVS’s within walking distance. And I’m so close to being done and I was on a roll. (No pun intended.) (Totally unrelated, but I used to think that Honor Roll was On A Roll, like a dinner roll, and I couldn’t understand why that was to be applauded.) But I ran out of tape and then I collapsed. As soon as I sat down, I didn’t want to get up ever again. I forgot how exhausting this whole thing is.

Last Wednesday night I brought over five boxes to the new place. That was five trips up and down the three flights of stairs and then carrying them into the condo building. Thank God that place has an elevator. And afterwards, after I got there and unpacked and cleaned up the kitchen a little, I could have passed out on the hardwoods. My arms were sore and my legs are still shaky. And then I was like “why am I doing all this when I’m going to be PAYING people to move boxes for me? What kind of idiot am I?” An idiot who also hates unpacking, clearly. Also and idiot who LOVES, LOVES, LOVES her new place.

And now I realize that my time would have been better spent packing instead of unpacking. Unpacking has no set expiration date. I could be unpacking for the next 4 years if I wanted to. But packing, well the packing HAS to be done by this Saturday. It has to be done when the movers get here at 8 AM. And why the fuck did I agree to letting movers come at 8 AM? So much for any last minute packing, unless I want to get up IN THE DARK. ON A SATURDAY MORNING. Which, as you’ve guessed, is NO.

So now I’m trying to cram everything in. And I’m feeling overwhelmed and stressed and I’m not sure it is all going to get done. And yes I know that I still have this apartment until the end of May, so God forbid if I can’t pack something, I can just come back for it. I don’t have to be out by Saturday. And really, it would not kill my fat, out of shape ass to carry some more boxes up and down stairs. I just didn’t want to have to carry EVERYTHING and have to carry furniture. Three flights is really one too many. I can make it to the second OK, but when I have that last one to go, I want to die and just live on the stairs. I would be a new kind of homeless, a person who pays rent to live on stairs because she’s too fucking lazy to CLIMB them. You would think that since I have lived here for four years that it would have gotten easier. Well, you would be wrong.

I just feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day. And while yes, you would be correct in telling me that maybe I shouldn’t have spent the better part of the morning watching Real Housewives, but then I would tell you to just shut the fuck up. Because I was hung over. (But not really.) Because I went on a pub crawl on Saturday and drank for 8 hours. Straight. And then had a genius idea to make grilled cheese at 11 PM, which is the only thing that saved me come Sunday morning. (Seriously, 8 hours of drinking and all I ate during the drinkathon was a few nachos.) I felt like I hadn’t drank at all. I have invented the cure for a hangover! DRUNKENLY MADE GRILLED CHEESE! Also, drunkenly stolen Cheetos will also work.

And of course this week coming up is busy. Because it always works out that way. I’m not complaining, since I’m going to my first Cubs game of the season on Monday night, but it kind of derails my packing efforts. And then there is pub trivia and a trip to Target because oh, hi! I just realized that the new place doesn’t have a shower rod. I might need one of those to shower, once I move in. I’m not much of a bath person. Although the new place has a whirlpool tub, so maybe I won’t need that shower rod at all.

So this long rambly, complainy post is just me telling you that I feel like my head is spinning. That my life is spinning out of control and while I know all this madness will come to an end soon, it sure as hell doesn’t feel like it. And I can’t wait for it to be over so I can talk about SOMETHING ELSE! Ugh. I’m irritating myself. SHUT UP SELF!

It would help if the cats could be a tad more helpul, though, and do their part. Don’t ya think?

simba-packing

Comments

20 Responses to “Not Enough Hours. Or Packing Tape.”

1. Dingo says:

Look at you with boxes and suitcases! I always start out that way but end up throwing everything into industrial strength trash bags on the last day. My movers have not been impressed with what I have branded “urban contemporary” temporary storage. Philistines.

Dingos last blog post..Disruptive

I very much enjoy it when the cats get IN the box you’re trying to pack.

Rhis last blog post..The Return of Friday Bullets

3. Hey, I’m impressed that you’ve already started packing when the movers aren’t coming until Saturday. Even with your busy week ahead, a true procrastinator (ie, me) would have found a way to dodge this until Friday at 10 pm.

Sorry about the stress! Been there, worried about that.

Legallyblondemels last blog post..Secret Single Behavior, Thursday Night Edition

4. Christina says:

I feel your pain! Boxes and packing are so annoying. It will get done, I promise!

Christinas last blog post..The locals

5. Summer says:

I’m so glad to hear Dingo mention trashbags involved in the moving process on the last day. I don’t feel so white trash now. 🙂

Summers last blog post..Saturday Realizations

6. bikerchick says:

You crack me up– homeless person on the stairs! Hey do you need some 20% Bed Bath & Beyond coupons? Don’t fall for the “expiration date” either– they honor them any time.

I would totally be up Friday night packing – because packing SUCKS and I put if off as long as possible. In fact, the dread of packing is killing my desire to house-hunt right now. Is it just me, or does the noise the tape makes drive you crazy? I cannot stand it!

Also, I get spell aggressive without doing a little cheer in my head that we used to do in high school. Be agressive, B-E aggressive. B-E-A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E.

We were quite smart back then. 🙂

TUWABVBs last blog post..Waah.

Thanks TUWABVB. Thanks so very damn much.

The only worse cheer to get stuck in your head is:

s.u.c.c.e.s.s. that’s the way we spell success! Success!

Go Kristabella!!!

Rees last blog post..MM – Where Am I?

9. tmc says:

aha! Further proof to support my thesis that grilled cheese can fix what ails you.

p.s. There’s a little award over on my blog for you.

tmcs last blog post..Winnah!

silver lining? you got a bonus workout from carrying all those boxes…and bonus workouts mean BONUS SNACKAGE!

alis last blog post..top 5 PSAs are on the board…

Easy kiddo!!! I’ll be over after work Friday and we’ll pack whatever has to be packed. I’m a pro!

12. lainey says:

Just be glad your first Cubs game of the year wasn’t the one with Denise Richards singing “Take Me Out To the Ball Game” 🙂

have you accidentally taped a box shut with a cat inside yet?

14. Deidre says:

I hate packing too – I haven’t moved quite as much as you – but I always make the mistake of putting all the heavy things in one box and then not being able to lift them at all – it’s awesome.

yeah baseball! 🙂

Deidres last blog post..Date number 5 – Mr. Slurpee style. Alternate title: Environmental guilt

15. Ritz says:

I’m impressed you still have your McMahon shirt.

Ritzs last blog post..You Like Me! You Really Like Me!

Only five more sleeps until you are in your new place!

(I’m annoyingly positive. I know.)

Angellas last blog post..My Space

17. brooke says:

that darn cat isn’t being very helpful!

brookes last blog post..Seeking Gal Pal

18. Fraulein N says:

Aww, but the cats ARE doing their part. They’re professional nappers. If only we could harness that power for good…

Fraulein Ns last blog post..Lost: "The Variable"

Love the Bears jersey, and I actually remember when they won. Loved Jimmy. Packing does suck, maybe you could reward yourself with an adult beverage for every box packed. Pick something yummy….

Sheris last blog post..Oh Hell, I Dunno!!! I’ll Call This Mom Behaving Badly

20. Dude, the running out of tape ALWAYS seems to happen at the most inopportune times. Then had you gone to CVS, I guarantee they would have been out, too. Then, you would have moved on to perhaps a UPS store, but they would have locked their doors just moments before your arrival. And, well, you can see where this is going.

Camels & Chocolates last blog post..Signs I’m Back in the South