You’ll Never Guess

Posted By on September 12, 2008

What this post is about.

No, not being unemployed (although I showered today and went out to get my eyebrows waxed and to the library and then came home because the library is overwhelming if you don’t have a list of books you are looking for. So. Many. Books. Thankfully they have free WiFi, so I’m going to be there a lot.)

This post is about my tooth. That is KILLING me. And it happens to be one of the teeth I just had work done on TWO MONTHS AGO. One in which I paid a HEFTY sum to have a crown re-done on it and now it is fucking killing me and I don’t think I can avoid going back to the dentist.

This isn’t the tooth I had the root canal on. This is the one behind it, that has a lovely gold crown on it. The gold crown I paid FULL PRICE for, because I had reached my maximum with my dental insurance. The gold crown that sits upon a tooth that hurts and is sensitive to hot and cold of which I’m convinced is going to need its own root canal.

Here’s where I freak the fuck out and start hysterically sobbing.

1. Like I said, I had to pay full price for this crown. Because I reached my maximum, it is like not having dental insurance.
  2. I had this crown put on 2 months ago. The day before I left for BlogHer. It is NEW.
  3. My tooth could not have gone to hell in TWO MONTHS.
  4. The dumbass dentist was rooting around in there, knew it was sensitive, but said it just needed a filling. I didn’t question her because I AM NOT A DENTIST.
  5. I can’t wait until January to get this fixed.
  6. Guess I know where my severance is going.
  7. I am avoiding calling them because I’m pretty sure they can’t save the crown. So that means the $1000 I have paid for this one, ALL DOWN THE GOD DAMNED DRAIN.

*Cue the hysterical sobbing*

I know there are worse things in the world, but for once in the last year, I would like the right side of my jaw to not be in throbbing pain. I paid (and still owe) a lot of money to this dentist, the least they could do was do it right.

Now I’m at a crossroads. Because I have no dental insurance and my asshat dentist has all my files and knows the history, I am leaning towards going back to them. Because I’m hoping (nay, praying) they will cut me some kind of break. Because this is THEIR FAULT. I am determined of that fact. A tooth doesn’t rot in 2 months with a crown on it and I don’t eat candy like it is going out of style. This is so pre-existing. And they also let me pay off my balance at my own pace.

But on the other hand, I hate them. They make me cry. And I know going to a new dentist will require all the preliminary stuff of X-Rays, etc., things that will cost more money. And I just can’t have this cost any more money than it is already going to.

I would so love to know what I did to a dentist in a former life because the Dental Gods hate me.

And now back to my regularly-scheduled sobbing.

Comments

39 Responses to “You’ll Never Guess”

1. witchypoo says:

You need to grab his balls while you’re in the chair and whisper menacingly “We’re not going to hurt each other, are we?”

witchypoos last blog post..Sexual Magic

2. jen says:

A similar thing happened to me. I went back to the dentist and got them to fix my problem for free because it shouldn’t hurt after having being looked at so recently. I don’t think you should have to pay.

jens last blog post..Yummy banana cake

3. tutugirl1345 says:

Go back to your former dentist. Explain the situation and be VERY FIRM that it shouldn’t be a problem after two months (really, it shouldn’t) and they need to cover the cost of the fix. If they insist that you should pay for it, I’d say you were going to get a second opinion and perhaps throw in the word malpractice. Seriously, though, they should let you get it fixed for free this soon in the game.

tutugirl1345s last blog post..Quick goal update

4. Okay, listen girl. I am the owner of the world’s worst teeth (can you say $2,000 in dental work this year?), and I’ve had this happen to me too. First of all, they CAN save the crown. All they do is pry it off and then reuse it…Since it’s gold, it’s probably even stronger than the porcelain (or whatever) they used on mine.

Second, what probably happened is that the decay went down close to the root, and they didn’t get it all. I’m not sure if this is the dentist’s fault, since like I said it’s happened to me a few times, but definitely bring it up with them.

And last and most important, most dentists, if you tell them your situation, will agree not to bill you until next year when you’ll have new insurance.

Hang in there…I know, when it rains it pours, right? But it’ll all get better. Really. It will.

5. Ugh. I am having sympathy pains for you. I just switched to going to a dental SCHOOL, just so I do not have to pay the exorbitant prices of my last dentist. But hey, you can try that too! I’m sure Chicago has dental schools!

nancypearlwannabes last blog post..Testing… Testing…

SUCKSSUCKSSUCKS.

Call the dentist…and if you want me to go with you, just let me know. I can be VERY persuasive.

7. Ditto what everyone else said.

Also, I think you need more alcohol to get you through this.

Jen on the Edges last blog post..The silver lining

8. uuuugggggh that suuuuuuucks I’m sorry. Couldn’t you get a second opinion?

Sensibly Sassys last blog post..September 11, 2001

9. There are 3 people you pay good money to that you should love: your GYN, hairdresser and dentist. If you dread going to them, you need a new one.

I know it sucks to financially be in your situation, but you wouldn’t keep dating a guy that punched you in the face and stole your money; so why are you putting up with it from your dentist?? Whether or not he is great dentist for everyone else, he’s just not a good match for you. You have tons of friends and connections, so find one that will offer your flexible payment terms, fix your face, and give you one less thing to fret about while you’re looking for a new gig.

10. You definitely need to negotiate the price with the dentist, if they plan on charging you at all. Personally, I don’t think they should charge you. But you never know what people are capable of.

The only thing I hate more than your unemployed posts are your dentist posts. Shit. I can barely get through them. But because I love you, I persevered. That’s platonic love, let’s not get carried away.

Anyway…

I would probably do the same thing. Go back to the shit-ass dentists who did the work, becuase there has to be something else going on.

How long has it been bothering you? Could it be anything else? Pain in your jaw from clenching your teeth because you’re unemployed, perhaps?

Candys last blog post..Wake me up when September ends

Aww shit, I hope that you can get this figured out and that your asshat of a dentist makes this as easy as possible on you!

Melissas last blog post..Household Chores and Ambien….

I agree with the others, but you should also get a copy of all your dental records from the horrible dentist so that when you do go to a new awesome dentist, you don’t have to start over.

-R-s last blog post..Small Towns

14. Amber says:

Just echoing what others have already said, especially the “you need more alcohol” bit. But seriously, it sounds like it’s the dentist’s fault, so the dentist needs to fix it, for free.

I totally feel your pain here (well, not literally, obviously) here, because my teeth are actually the most expensive thing I own, aside from my house and car. (and mine still look like ass) So I feel for you…

Ambers last blog post..Is this thing on?

15. Noelle says:

I had to go back to my dentist to get my crown fixed, and he did not charge me for it, and I didn’t even have to argue. So maybe you’ll “luck out” that way, not that anything having to do with dentistry is lucky. I am so so due for a checkup, but I have no insurance at all, and I can’t fathom having to pay for it at the moment.

Noelles last blog post..Reality

16. Oh I’m so sorry about that. I would go back to the asshat dentist and tell him a) he’s an asshat and b) FIX this shit. I have a friend with a cracked tooth who’s previous dentist was fired for messing her up and they are redoing everything w/o charge so she doesn’t sue them.

The Popcorn Bowls last blog post..The Look of Disgust

17. Oh god, this is HORRIBLE. I’m so sorry. Toothache is one of the worst things in the world, and it’s all the more frustrating when it feels like no-one can fix it.

About seven years ago, I had a root canal with my dentist in London. A few days after the surgery it hurt and hurt and hurt, but they just said it was SUPPOSED to hurt like that. One morning I woke up and I was in so much pain, I could barely breathe. My friend took me to the EMERGENCY ROOM on the tube (fun! at 7am! which is rush hour!) and because it was a hospital and not a dentist, they pretty much just gave me some Ibuprofen and told me to go on my way. Did I mention I was catching a 13-hour flight from London to Singapore that day? Yes, I was. So I took that 13-hour flight in the worst pain of my life.

ANYWAY, when I got to Singapore, I saw another dentist who was basically like “holy shit, what did the other dentist DO?” Something had gone terribly awry with my root canal (the London dentist’s fault) and in the end, the whole tooth had to be PULLED OUT. It was a goner! So yeah, all that money I’d just paid for the root canal on the tooth that was just yanked out? Total waste. On the plus side, however, the pain stopped because the tooth was no longer IN MY MOUTH. (It was way, way, way in back. It’s not like anyone noticed. My wisdom tooth grew in to replace it.)

Um, I suppose what I’m trying to say is that I don’t really have any advice here, just that I TOTALLY KNOW where you’re coming from regarding toothache. DON’T WAIT: get back to that dentist right now, cry on the phone if you have to (always helps), and get it seen to. Be firm that this is NOT YOUR FAULT and you want it taken care of and soon. If they are unwilling, say you’re going to a new dentist (do you have a friend that recommend one? Can you find one on Yelp?), and then have them send over all your records; that way, you won’t need to have X-rays at your new place, thus lowering the cost.

Seriously, hang in there. The pain WILL stop, I promise. I’m also sorry for leaving the world’s longest comment but girl, I KNOW TOOTHACHE. This won’t be forever.

18. Vanessa says:

Chiming in with everyone else, this should not be a problem after two months, but you know this already. The dentist knows this too, and now they need to fix it. The dentist also needs to find a new chair side manner, but just go for getting the tooth fixed.

19. regan says:

That is totally sucky and I am so sorry. I agree with the other commenter that you should go in and firmly mention that this is not right. Can you report dentists to the Better Business Bureau? If so, threaten that. Threaten to given her a poor review on yelp. Threaten anything that will make her think twice about not fixing it for free. But do it in a “I’m being cool and calm and you can’t really get mad at me” sort of way.

regans last blog post..things I should be doing and blogging isn’t on the list

I feel like there should be some sort of dental warranty.

Rhis last blog post..Friday Bullets: I’ve! Had! Caffeine! Edition!

of course, it comes in threes. first Stara, now you, and then me, i’m guessing. the curse of the blogher roomies!

alis last blog post..being gammy makes me tangenty. and other goodies.

Absolutely do NOT pay for this to be fixed – if this were any other type of sevice, it would be fixed for free (think about a car repair). Call them, explain to them that they f-ed up and that you want it looked and fixed for free or you will report them to you insurance (they don’t need to know that you don’t have insurance). Seriously – that’s horrible and they messed up.

TUWABVBs last blog post..Twin Towers

What witchypoo said. I’ll help. Just let me know. An extra two hands can’t hurt.

Fuck’em.

Rees last blog post..Haiku Friday – Splish Splash

I say pull them all out and get dentures. That’s *my* plan.

Then I can freak my kids out with my gummy smile.

Angellas last blog post..How To Take Photos With A Blurry Background

25. Jill says:

oh you poor girl! I’ve been there – REALLY – just this year! I too, had a crown put on a tooth that THEN went bad like a minute later – anyhoo – I didn’t lose the crown – they were able to drill right through – do a root canal – and then filled in the crown. Now, the only difference in my situation – is that my crown isn’t gold (but I did pay like $1000 of MY OWN $$) I still had to pay for the root canal – like $600 or something crazy like that – maybe more – I quit keeping track – I have HORRIBLE teeth (thank you soda pop and gum!) and then my dentist filled in the crown for like $200. Not ideal – but hopefully you won’t have to get a WHOLE NEW CROWN on top of having a root canal.

Good luck to you – but hey – your teeth are important – take care of your grill!!

Jills last blog post..Someone please help my mom . . .

26. manic mommy says:

I got my eyebrows THREADED today. You should try that.

manic mommys last blog post..Forget Obama or McCain:

27. Willow says:

OK, I won’t give any advice, you’ve already had lots of the good stuff. I’ll just say I’m sympathising with you – I’ve been in a similar situation and dental pain is the WORST pain there is, so big hugs to you.

Willows last blog post..You’re Fired

28. Whatever you do, make sure you get lots of good drugs.

Kimberly/ MommaKs last blog post..I’d Say “7 Degrees” But I’m Not That Deep

29. Elle Charlie says:

Oh no! I’m sorry your tooth hurts 🙁 And yes, the dentist costs a ton with no insurance – I hope they cut you a break since they seem to be at fault for your current state of misery.

Elle Charlies last blog post..New horizons

30. Jen says:

Happy birthday chica! Apparently I am going to write that everywhere! But anyway, suggestion, albeit it may be a scary one. What about colleges that have dental schools and are looking for patients? If you need someone to hold your hand, let me know. Plus, I think I need to go for an extraction, so I know the pain you are in! Solution? Wine, and lots of it!

31. Jen says:

Sorry, one more comment, if you want the name of the dentist that I go to, he is awesome. They have specialists for all sorts of stuff. The root canal guy, is awesome, and A LOOKER. I was so nervous, I sweated through all of my clothes (totally gross), on to the chair. I was so numb, and he was so pretty, that I didnt care, and it did not hurt and has not hurt since. It is the Dental Store in Schaumburg, at Roselle and Wise by the Jewel. I know it is a haul for you, but I totally trust the guy who did it.

32. Yeah, you totally need to go in there and tell them they fucked this tooth up and they need to fix it, el pronto, for freeo.

Dutchess of Kickballs last blog post..The Boiling Point

33. Mary says:

Oh that sucks! Sucks sucks sucks!! I hope you can talk them into cleaning up their own mess, b/c this is ridiculous. I hope you feel better!

Marys last blog post..Why is it so hard to think of a witty title? Damn it!

This has me all paranoid because I had a tooth with a really deep cavity (he showed it to me and holy fuck was it deep). My dentist, who is uh, clearly superior to yours, put in a temporary filling. He is going to let that sit for two months and see if it becomes more sensitive, and if so, we will do a root canal and crown, instead of just a crown. But oh, how I bet I have another root canal coming.

slynnros last blog post..Scenes From A Marriage: He’s been listening? Ed.

35. Katie says:

I am convinced that dentists do a shitty job on purpose just so you’ll have to come back to get it fixed. I’m having the same problem with the crown I just had replaced a few months ago (over a tooth that had a root canal). I hope things look brighter soon, hon.

Katies last blog post..Second Anniversarymoon Recap (with pics!)

36. michele says:

*cries*

i def think you should get them to fix it gratis. or at the minimum get some discount, extended payment plan, deferred billing. even though you described what can only be the world’s shittiest dentist in previous posts, it looks like it is better to suck it up and go back than go elsewhere. sorry. 🙁

hang in there! it has to get better soon! there are no alternatives.

micheles last blog post..Vampires are Hot

37. Chris says:

Dammit – that SUCKS. OUUUUUCCCHHHH. If you didn’t already hate the suburbs, I’d recommend my dentist (who is COMPETENT, very cute and SINGLE. And a man, did I leave that out?).

Or just load up on Vicodin and vodka…

Chriss last blog post..Water is wet and icky…………..

38. Can we file a petition to have the word “Dentist” turned into a swear word. At, perhaps, the same caliber as Fuck? Because seriously! DENTIST!

The Over-Thinkers last blog post..Deep Thoughts….by The Over-Thinker

39. Dan says:

I’ve had this happen as well – they can drill into the crown and do the root canal – afterwards you’ll have a small silver filling in the crown –