When Bad Dreams Attack

Posted By on August 5, 2009

I’m exhausted today. I will be heading to bed early because I can barely keep my eyes open. And it’s all because I had a horrible night’s sleep last night.

First it started when I couldn’t fall asleep. I was tossing and turning, despite being dead-ass tired. Because I was stressing about my condo. And how I’ve done nothing to it since moving in. Complete with the boxes in the entryway that have been there SINCE MAY. And I told myself that I was going to get some stuff done in August and really start to make this house a home. Because it’s mine and I love it and I want to make it look nice. I don’t want to have boxes stacked in the entryway anymore. (Although most of the boxes now are the boxes that need to go down to storage and well, I’m just way too lazy to just actually take them downstairs. Which means, I guarantee you, that my storage unit that I was assigned has probably been taken. I should just go put a damn lock on it. “If it’s your storage unit then you shoulda put a lock on it.” “Pop, lock your storage unit.”)

Anyway, I couldn’t sleep once I started thinking about ALL I had to do. And how I agreed to host book club in August and AARRGGHHH! I need to get shit taken care of.

Once I finally fell asleep, I was good until about 4 AM. That’s when I woke up after having a horrible dream. In the dream, I was continuously coming up a flight of stairs and coming upon my apartment and finding it unlocked. It was an outdoor apartment, so the door was outside right by the top of the staircase. It had an olive green door. And a big picture window right next to the doorway. There was never actual glass in the window.

In the dream, this happened twice. The first time, I came upon my open apartment door and noticed nothing was missing from my apartment. And in the dream, I seemed to calm down, since I had everything I owned and maybe I had just left the door unlocked and the wind blew the door open. (Because clearly in my dreams, this is a reasonable explanation.)

After this, something else probably happened in my dream, but all I remember is walking up the stairs again and AGAIN coming upon an open front door to this apartment that was mine. And something in the dream told me something wasn’t right. Like I had an overwhelming sense of dread come over me and I bolted awake. And when I woke up, I was panicky and totally felt out of sorts. When I put my head back down and closed my eyes, I saw that open olive green door of that apartment I had that feeling of dread all over again.

Needless to say, I was up for a little bit after that. I went to the bathroom, checked around my apartment for Boogy Men, checked on the cats, thought of Twittering. Finally, who knows how many minutes later, I laid back down and tried to go back to bed. I forced myself to dream of unicorns and rainbows and having Robert Pattinson as my man slave. It seemed to work and I woke up the next time when the alarm went off, which was playing that stupid fucking Lottery Dream commercial that Illinois Lottery has on the radio. And if you live here and listen to the radio, you know what I’m talking about. I would like to drop-kick Beth and her stupid fucking lottery dream, including the singing cabana boy, to Uranus. (I realize 98% of you have no idea what I’m talking about. Be thankful for that.)

So I’m a bit tired today (and clearly a bit agitated and irritable) because of that wack-ass dream that woke me up. I just really hope it isn’t foreshadowing and someone is really going to break into my apartment.

WAY TO GO BRAIN! I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO SLEEPING TONIGHT AND NOW I WILL BE LISTENING FOR PEOPLE BREAKING IN! AWESOME! YOU FUCKING RULE!

So can any of you analyze that dream for me? What’s the worst bad dream you have ever had that jolted you awake?

:::::

In other news, I wanted to update you on the homeless man in the parking space.

Apparently he turned into a parakeet*:

parakeet

Bye, bye birdie.

*I shit you not, there was a fucking parakeet in the SAME parking spot as the homeless man. The little guy seemed very scared and I didn’t know what to do with him. I looked for him later and he was gone, so I hope someone found him and gave him a good home. Lord knows he wouldn’t have lasted 20 minutes in mine.

Comments

15 Responses to “When Bad Dreams Attack”

1. Jenn says:

So…I dabble with dream intepretation on the side. I love dreams and can find the symbolism in them if you would like.

Now, with dream interpretation, everyone will project their own “stuff” onto the interpretation. So, as you get people’s analyses, pull from them what makes sense to you.

Here is my gut interpretation: the unlocked/open door could represent vulnerability or insecurity – maybe even a lack of feeling safe. The fact that all your belongings are there could mean that no one has victimized or hurt you, but yet you still feel vulnerable. The fact that you were awoke by the dream and felt frightened supports this interpretation. If you awoke and felt “good” I would change my interpretation to be that you feel free and “open” – like you had nothing to hide and easily allow people in and out…

Well…that’s all I got. I would love to hear what others have to say!

2. witchypoo says:

I think you will be opening yourself up to romance, and it scares you. Your house represents your personality.
    I was jolted awake from a dream where I answered the door and a young man punched me in the face.
    .-= witchypoo´s last blog ..Grace the Thirteenth =-.

Sorry, no help with the dream interpretation but the parakeet cracked me up!

4. Jen says:

Oh no! It sounds like a really scary dream. It’s so funny because we recently moved from an apartment to a house…my husband was away the past few days and I HATED sleeping in the house alone. At least in an apartment we were 6 floors up and very little possibility anyone could break in. Now with the house every noise freaked me out…also for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to watch a trailer for The Strangers (that wack-ass movie with Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman where masked intruders break into a house and terrorize a couple). So clearly I have issues and have no helpful advice re: what your dream meant but I can totally relate to that scary dream feeling. Poor thing!

When B was only a few weeks old, I used to wake up a few times a night because I dreamed that I had rolled over onto B and was smothering him. In real life, B was safe, sleeping in his own crib. It scared the heck out of me every time though.
    .-= -R-´s last blog ..Full Moon =-.

6. I live in Illinois and I have no idea of the radio commercial to which you speak. This is how long it’s been since I’ve listened to the radio, apparently.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Tomato Delight =-.

7. mouncie123 says:

I think your butt tired, know you have a lot to do and keep replaying it in your head. The open door is because your hands are full of boxes and you couldn’t close it I mean the cats can oly help to trip you up not close doors…..make you feel better? less scared?? I really hate bad dreams too.

I had a cockatiel named Zeus in college. My roommates had cats. (Their names were BP & Gus, which sotod for “Bad Pu$$y” and “Gutter $lut” – and yes, that was weird.)

Anywho, I would come home many afternoons to the cats stalking Zeus inside his cage. Rather than being afraid, he was taunting the cats and pecking at their paws if they got too close.

Hours of entertainment.
    .-= Darcey´s last blog ..Moving killed me dead =-.

9. gorillabuns says:

i live my worst nightmare but as for your dream? I think you feel vulnerable too.

I’m guessing if you had to live in my house for two days with a half a lock on your front door (my husband was replacing it with a new one but in true man form – it took him two days to put a knob in the freaking hole) you’d been freaking the hell out like i was. Since my neighborhood is slightly shady, i just knew someone was going to stick their hand through the hole and open my door.
    .-= gorillabuns´s last blog ..it’s technotronic =-.

10. michele says:

that sounds very scary. i think it is perfectly normal to be a bit traumatized by that dream. but i think as others have said it is just your anxiety getting you. your whole world at this moment is your pride and joy–your new house!

i feel you on the laziness and lack of getting things done and just the agitation that it brings.

i think you should def keep updating us on the occupancy of that parking spot!
    .-= michele´s last blog ..June is for Camping =-.

11. jennster says:

i totally think it’s everything you just talked about in the beginning of the post.. you don’t have anything done- you haven’t made your house a home and you’re feeling overwhelmed with the idea of everything you need/want to do. it’s a sense of feeling out of control and overwhelmed with the amount of things you need to do and haven’t done. you could just be feeling not together- or dread.

i dunno. don’t paint your door olive, thanks. lol

ps- you have a lot of jen(n) readers.
    .-= jennster´s last blog ..what.. water shortage? =-.

12. Arg, I hate bad dreams. I used to get them all the time, and they’re usually stress manifested in weird situations. Hmm. Maybe you don’t feel at home yet in your new place, and so in your dream you feel like you don’t have control over it? I’m not much help, sorry.
    .-= Amanda Nicole´s last blog ..photo walk: Sucia Island =-.

Turning into a parakeet would be a great superpower.
    .-= Angella´s last blog ..The Name Game =-.

14. NYC HIT says:

What is up with all the strange dream posts?!? I just came across your blog today and I posted about a nightmare I had last night this morning. And I read like three other blogs with dream posts. Weird. I think it’s a conspiracy. A weird alien dream conspiracy.
    .-= NYC HIT´s last blog ..Nightmare On My Street =-.

15. Beyond Alice says:

I’m sure the homeless man is much happier now that he can fly.