Weekend Update

Posted By on August 18, 2008

As I’ve mentioned, I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed these days. It is partially because my job is ending soon. And we have another sales conference next week, which means work is a little hectic.

On top of that, I’ve had a few interviews and I’ve been stressing out about each and every second of each and every one of them. And worrying that I may end up taking something I don’t really like and wondering if that means I’m going to go through this process again in the near future. And really just FREAKING THE FUCK OUT ABOUT EVERYTHING. I would like to stay at this next job for more than a year and a half (baring I don’t hit it big in the lotto or something). I want to really like it and enjoy it enough to not want to jump to another position. Although, with my lack of patience for stupid people, this doesn’t really bode well. A girl can hope, though.

Last Wednesday night/early Thursday morning I think I worried myself into stomach pains. I woke up Thursday morning, having a 9 AM interview to get to, with the world’s worst stomach ache. The stress of 2 interviews in one day, having to wear a suit that doesn’t fit, on top of remembering to pack because I was getting ready to head out to the suburbs for the weekend to watch my niece and nephew, was too much, I think.

I ended up cancelling the interview on Thursday morning. I have contacted the woman a few times to reschedule, but haven’t heard back. I don’t think I was meant to have that job.

After I slept for a few extra hours, I proceeded to freak the fuck out and just wanted to call it quits on the whole interviewing thing altogether. I had a bit of a crying fit and was feeling really sorry for myself and wanted to cancel all the interviews and just crawl back into bed for the rest of 2008.

But I sucked it up for the interview Thursday afternoon because I can’t avoid this. I can’t avoid finding a job. As much as I’d love to take three months off and start back up working in January, I can’t afford to do that. And I also know that my desire to shower and go to job interviews after sleeping in for three months will be NON-EXISTENT.

See, I’ve been through this song and dance before. Quite a few times. This next job will be my fourth job since I moved back to Chicago in 2005. So I’ve been on my fair share of interviews. It never gets easier. No matter how much I use my Jedi mind powers to force them into giving me the job (because seriously, if I apply for the job, I CAN DO IT. TRUST ME), they still make me go through the whole process and answer all the questions and make me sweat through my polyester suit.

It doesn’t really get any easier. I’m constantly second-guessing my answers and what I did or didn’t ask. Or wondering if my suit pants that are safety-pinned closed are going to burst open and poke someone’s eye out. And really, this is not way to go through my waking hours. I do enough embarrassing stuff in my dreams.

So this weekend, with an interview coming up on Monday morning, I tried to change my attitude. I went out and bought a new suit that FITS. And I got it for only about $20 because I had a gift card. And the pants are long enough so I can wear heels and not worry about looking like I just traipsed through flood waters to make it to an interview. It made the world of difference in my comfort level in the interview this morning.

This weekend I also spent three nights at my brother’s house, spending time with him and my sister-in-law and my niece and nephew. And it was the perfect break I needed to stop worrying about job interviews and unemployment and work and the internet and everything EXCEPT naked mens swimming in the Olympics. Because even I have my limits, people. There’s always room for half-naked, perfectly sculpted, WET men on my television.

My weekend was spent doing puzzles, playing Wii, chasing a two-year old around the kitchen table, eating pancakes, pizza and ice cream cake, watching movies and realizing that there is no greater thing than seeing the pure joy of a two-year old who gets to eat a lollipop twice the size of her head.

It was exactly what I needed.

Comments

22 Responses to “Weekend Update”

1. regan says:

There must be something in the air because the overwhelm? IT IS OVERWHELMING ME TOO.

Yay for a new suit. Seriously, I think having the right outfit can make an interview easier. I have shoes that I bought before an interview that I swear make me more confident. Maybe you should be carrying bacon in your purse or briefcase to interviews.

Today a mention of jedi mind tricks, yesterday a mention of Star Trek. You are a dork.

regans last blog post..My life? FAIL WHALE

2. HouseofJules says:

Awww, so good you got some of your mojo back… and a suit that fits is a fabulous thing.
    Jules
    House of Jules

HouseofJuless last blog post..Putting the Hump in Humpday: Parallel, perpendicular or diagonal hardly matters if I’m enveloped in that wing span

3. Nancy says:

Cuteness plus!

Ahhh, Kristabella, I hope and pray a job comes along soon for you. Mostly I pray for a good fit … you liking your job and being there for a long time.

Crap happens for a reason … I hope this last layoff was to lead you to a better, longer served job.
    (((hugs))) to you girl!

Nancys last blog post..Smorgasboard Monday

Skyler has changed in the past couple of weeks since I saw her. She looks just like Kim in the pictures.

You will find the job of your dreams, kiddo. I can feel it. And the new suit will help…just by making you more comfortable if nothing else.

5. hikaru says:

oh goodness. i was being all sulkylike today, so a friend of mine was like, go here (“here” being, well, HERE), and read bacon, and you will laugh till you sob out of your chair. so thank you for making me laugh!

and don’t feel bad about safety-pinned pants at an interview. i did that once, and somehow the pin came loose during the bus ride. so about the time i’m shaking the interview guy’s hand, they fall right off, just whoosh.

…i did not get the job.

6. Alice says:

it’s so weird that no matter how many interviews i go on, and no matter how much “better” i get at interviewing, they continue to suck just as much. other things don’t work this way! experience and practice normally make things better and less stressful! dear interviews: HAATE. love, alice.

Alices last blog post..pay it forward wonderfulness continues!

You’re scaring me with this whole interviewing thing, y’know…

But I’m glad you had a nice, relaxing weekend.

Rees last blog post..Wedding – Past in Polaroids 2

i hear there are lots of jobs in Toronto…

seriously though…i hate that you are so overwhelmed. finding a job is so stressful!!

alis last blog post..Come and party with me. there will be beer slurpees. maybe.

9. Kristie says:

I hope that you find a job soon and that the overwhelming stuff goes away. 🙂

Kristies last blog post..Please disregard this post

10. Evil Genius says:

My son just flew to Florida yesterday in search of a job and is trying to line up as many interviews as he can during the 9 days he’ll be there. He totally relates with what you’re going through. There just is nothing left here for him in Indiana because of so many plant shut-downs and lay-offs, so not only does he have to go through the parade of interviews but he’s got to start all over in a new state. But I tell him, at least I’ll have someplace to go when I’m on vacation. Hahaha!

Hang in there sweetie. Wish I was there to give you a big hug. I’m so glad you spent that time with your family. I know that always helps me and my son.

Best of luck – your dream job is out there!!!

Evil Geniuss last blog post..On 09/25/2008, You Know Where I’ll Be…

11. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that all this interviewing pans out with something fantastic for you!

12. Issy says:

Hang in there!

I’m sure you rock the new suit and you will find company that is perfect for you.

I do hope the book writing works out though…I’d LOVE to read a whole book by you.

Keep your chin up, sweet pea.

I’m hoping that all of this hard work will pay off!

Angellas last blog post..Extreme Makeover: Laundry Room Edition

14. Erin says:

I’m sending all my good interview vibes your way!! Also, having a suit that fits makes all the difference!

Erins last blog post..Tell me what you think!

15. Clothes that fit well are THE KEY to getting through this process. If you feel good physically, the rest will follow.

And can I take it that your niece got through the weekend injury-free? 🙂

Jen on the Edges last blog post..Re-entry

16. dabby says:

This will sound ridiculous, but here it goes: I have not tried to find a new job yet because my interview suit is too tight and it makes me wildly uncomfortable. And I can’t afford a new one. So I stay at my current job and end up further in debt and constantly worried about money. How’s that for crazy?

dabbys last blog post..Reality

17. Celia says:

Great idea with the new suit. Sometimes it’s little things that can give you your confidence back. I know you’ll find something great.

Also, yay for family time. I’m so glad it helped. Good luck the rest of the week!

Celias last blog post..Two Random Comments and An Apology

18. I still get excited about big lollipops – like on BB10. Did you see all that candy?? Yeah, that made me smile almost as much as Ollie and his crow issues.

Kimberly/ MommaKs last blog post..Their First Concert

19. Julie says:

I sooooo agree with you about Phelps needing a PR person. I said the same exact thing, especially when they had him on with Mark Spitz via satellite… He needed some good coaching there. 😉 Too funny about Tomba. I’d forgotten about him. Fun to reminisce through your brain.

20. Moose says:

Hope your job hunt meets with grand success sometime very soon. And I think someone should manufacture lollipops twice the size of an adult head. I’d buy one.

Mooses last blog post..He Didn’t, By the Way

21. Laurel says:

Damn your niece is cute.

I hope you rocked your hot new suit at the interview!

Laurels last blog post..Recent Discoveries

22. Lys says:

There is something to be said for new clothing that just makes you kick ass in an interview…

Which reminds me, I need to go shopping, again.

Lyss last blog post..Clarity, So Have It…