Broken

Posted By on April 8, 2009

I had plans to write something funny tonight, but I just can’t. My heart is broken and heavy with hurt.

As most of you know, last night Madeline Alice Spohr, the beautiful, happy baby of Heather and Mike Spohr, passed away. She was only 17 months old.

I consider Heather to be a friend of mine. I had the pleasure of meeting her and her hubby Mike last year at BlogHer and there was an instant connection. Her blog was immediately added into my Google Reader when I got home. I fell in love with their daughter Maddie and Heather’s hilarious writings about their sweet daughter.

The love that Heather and Mike have for their daughter is evident. Maddie was the center of their world. I’m posting this link to my favorite Maddie post. Because you can just see how much of a joy she was and how she loved life and just how adorable she is.

It just reminds you how fragile life is and what is truly important. Work and guys at bars and dirty rugs aren’t important. What is important is your family and your friends.

I am so heartbroken for them, I don’t have the words. I can’t even imagine what they are going through. And I wish I could do something, anything. If I knew hopping a plane to LA would help out at all, I would do it.

But Heather has asked that we donate to March of Dimes in honor of Maddie. So please, help donate. To honor the memory of their little girl.

maddie

(Photo borrowed from Heather’s Flickr stream.)

Goodbye sweet Maddie. The world isn’t going to be as bright without you in it.

Comments

14 Responses to “Broken”

1. Jennie says:

Sweet dreams, Maddie. We’ll see you on the other side.

Our love and prayers go out to you and the family. May you find peace in the midst your tragic loss. And, one day, be able to dream again.

Sob! I truly cannot imagine what it is like to lose a child. Words just don’t seem to matter at a time like this.
    I did donate at the March of Dimes site and encourage eveyone else to do so as well. I can’t say it made me feel any better but atleast I felt like I did SOMETHING.

What an angel!

3. Christina says:

I am still in disbelief. I did donate to the MoD in her memory. My heart breaks for them.

Christinas last blog post..When things happen…

am broken too. i keep having these “did this really happen?” moments.

alis last blog post..…to see a man about some shoes

5. My condolences go out the family as well. What a heartbreaking thing to lose a child.

I love that they will have the blog to remember better times. It should be sent to every person out there who castrates women who blog about their children, because it is obviously a good thing and a tool not only for reaching others, but also for reaching back into one’s own life and having a way to re-live certain times as if they were yesterday.

Amanda Nicoles last blog post..small graces: part 35

6. Summer says:

I just started following your blog last week. I want to send my condolences. And thank you so much for sharing Maddie with us. I read post after post about her with tears streaming down my face. I can’t imagine the gravity of their loss.

Summers last blog post..I Wish I Was a Superhero

7. Lori says:

I hadn’t ever seen this blog before, but my thoughts and prayers go out to them during this time. Truly heartbreaking.

Loris last blog post..obama at sun devil stadium

8. Lisa Brower says:

I’m a new follower also, but I am so heartbroken for the loss of this precious little one. My family’s thoughts and prayers are with them.

Lisa Browers last blog post..If I Could Put Time In A Bottle

I still can’t believe it. I’m hugging everyone tighter…

Angellas last blog post..Life Is Too Short

10. Miss E says:

I can’t believe she’s gone. What a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are being sent their way. There is nothing worse in the world than a child dying.

I agree with Amanda Nicole’s comment on having the blog to remember the good times. Well said.

Miss Es last blog post..Too Much To Handle

11. Marianne says:

I just came across their blog last week and was so amazed by the strength they demonstrated. I will be praying for them.

12. I am so heartbroken over this too. I first found Heather’s blog from Daddy Dan and have loved following along ever since.

I find it so amazing that over the past two days my thoughts have been consumed with thoughts of Maddie and Heather and Mike although I’ve never met with any of them. I guess Maddie’s smile nad her parents’ love was infectious through the Internet.

Heather’s blog was one of the first blogs I discovered when I knew there was such a thing called blogs and I’ve followed there family’s story with love from the beginning. I’m just devastated for them.

I’m happy to see, however, that the MOD page has gone ballistic with funds. I’m sad that it took this tragedy to get me off my ass to contribute, but I hope the funds will help save others in the future.

TUWABVBs last blog post..All That and a Bag of Chips

14. Eileen says:

This is so very very sad. My thoughts are with her family.

Eileens last blog post..I could have lived my whole life without knowing this