U-S-A

Posted By on August 11, 2008

I am obsessed with the Olympics.

Every two years, I get sucked in and am constantly wondering how the US is faring, how many medals we’ve won, how the favorites have done. I spend my time watching events on TV and following it on the internet because I get super crazy patriotic and hold my breath and hope that every one of our athletes does their very best and obviously that they win a medal. It breaks my heart to see people stumble or get injured and not get to be able to fulfill their one goal of not only making it to the Olympics, but doing their best and putting everything out there.

To me, there is no higher goal than participating in the Olympics and getting to represent your country. I don’t know that there is a greater honor for an athlete.

And then there is NBC and their sappy stories featuring certain athletes, which makes me cry. Or when they show any of the athlete’s parents in the audience, just thinking about the sacrifice those parents made to get their child to the Olympics will make me tear up every time. Or watching an athlete get emotional on the medal stand. It’s like two weeks of tugging at my heart strings!

And every two years I tell myself that I probably won’t get as sucked in to the Olympics as I have in the past. And every two years I watch the Opening Ceremonies and get teary with all those athletes in one place, seeing some countries allow women athletes to compete for the first time or countries with only two athletes being as excited as an athlete from one of the powerhouse countries. Even seeing George Bush in the stands was awesome, having him there all giddy and waving to the athletes like a fool.

Chicago is a finalist for the Olympics in 2016. It would be so awesome if we were to be the host. It is one of my dreams to go to an Olympics and get to be a spectator, at both the summer and the winter games.

Plus, staring at half-naked, hairless swimmers isn’t really a bad thing to be looking at on my television.

Comments

24 Responses to “U-S-A”

1. HouseofJules says:

Amen, sista (or if you’ve read my latest post, “ALL MEN!”)! I was pretty much thinking the same thing last night when I watched the men’s 4×100 relay. Michael Phelps should be required by law to go without clothing while he’s not in that pool. Seriously. Their bodies are unbelievable. Drool….
    Jules
    House of Jules

HouseofJuless last blog post..It was a dark and stormy night… seriously!

Last night I begged of Aaron to start swimming again (he swam in college) so he would look like Michael Phelps. So far it’s a no go. Lazy ass.

slynnros last blog post..Scenes From a Marriage: This is How We Plan a Vacation Edition.

3. jodifur says:

I’m so upset. I haven’t seen a minute of the olympics and could care less. I’m such a sports fan but just cannot get into the olympics.

jodifurs last blog post..My Most Favorite Date Ever

I’m with you….sucked into the Olympics AGAIN! I even turned on the TV this AM to see what medals were won after I went to bed. And when Michael Phelps looks for his Mom after every event, I cry. Like a baby.

i went to the olympics in 96 when they were in atlanta. it was amazing to be there. i hope it’s in chicago!!

alis last blog post..a story of my first time. and my last time.

6. Nic says:

Michael Phelp’s head reminds me of a sock monkey.

Also, I don’t understand why no interviewer seems to be asking the male swimmers the most important thing of all: HAIR REMOVAL TIPS. Holy hell, those boys are smooth.

(While the Olympics annoy me, I did catch the men’s relay last night)

7. Alice says:

i want to fondle all the swimmers’ abs. and shoulders. and arms. and backs. and abs. and arms.

8. Amanda says:

It’s so funny: I never paid a moment’s attention to the Olympics in my life until now, and that’s only because I got a gig writing updates for a mobile phone application.

What’s actually striking me the most as I sift through articles is how much scandal goes on, and how corporate it is. I don’t mean to sound like a barefoot hippie (gag), but have you seen that photo of the shanty town in China sectioned off by a wall that reads, “One World, One Dream” as part of an Olympics campaign?

Vancouver is hosting the winter games in 2010, and to be honest, most of us here are all waiting to see what the city does with the ever-growing homeless population. Most likely cart them off and dump them in the sticks, like they did when Expo ’86 was here.

Amandas last blog post..Back on the Nitrus

9. Noelle says:

Those stories, they get me every single time. I’ve always loved watching the swimming, but this is the first Olympics since I started racing competitively, and now watching the swimming is downright amazing.

Noelles last blog post..Cat in a box

10. The Muse says:

I was 15 when the Olympics were here in Atlanta in 1996. I was so excited to go to events, to see these amazing athletes, to get caught up in the pagentry. I attended 4 events (pre-lim gymnastics, equestrian, softball and semi-final soccer), and they were all great.

But by the time it was over, I was so over the city being so crowded, people being disrespectful of the environment, the bombings, etc., that I was glad to go back to a bit of normalcy in Atlanta.

The Muses last blog post..Weekend discovery:

11. Mouncie123 says:

We watched the opening with my 6 year old daughter she was amazed…was cool to see that alone. I would love it if Chicago could host but do you really think we could top that China Open??
    GO USA!!!!

12. The opening ceremonies was a mixture of fun and sad. It was A-freakin-making to see what the Chinese people did with the stinking blocks and their performances. But then the countries came out and I felt all sad for the countries that only had 1 – 5 people then US rolls out with 647! WTF?!?

I am all about beach volleyball, though. And Michael Phelps has to stand in line behind Bob Costas for being my baby daddy.

Not to sound anti-American, but I still think it sucks that we send in professional basketball players.

thecoconutdiariess last blog post..Because I’m An American, Not Because Boys with Hot Bodies Wear Tight Clothes!

13. I too am a sucker for the olympics! I mean how could you not?

14. Julie says:

I’m with you! I get sucked into the sappy feature stories NBC runs. How about the super-drama before the women’s 200 free last night? The chick from Italy is now dating the chick from France’s ex (he’s also an Olympic swimmer) and the two women swam in the same race… Almost as much drama as a reality show…

15. Willow says:

I don’t watch all the sports but I love it when we do well. I’m from England so we don’t win much but that just makes it all the more awesome when we do. We got the 2012 gig so I’ll be thinking about trying to see some of it – and I think it’s amazing watching those countries with hardly any athletes in the parade, we’re all proud of our home Nation but imagine being one of those competitors, pride and pressure in equal measure I would think!

16. heather... says:

We are so alike. I am obsessed with the olympics, too! Some day I WILL go to them. I don’t think going to the ’84 olympics in LA count since I was five and had no idea what was going on. I begged my parents to take me to Atlanta but they wouldn’t. SPOIL SPORTS. I really hope Chicago wins, I am SO there. On your couch.

heather…s last blog post..The Birds and the Rigbys

17. I love watching women’s gymnastics even though it gives me a stomachache. The pressure!

18. Sarah says:

I know how you feel. I’m really pulling for Chicago in 2016!

19. Sleepynita says:

I love watching the male swimmers.

It should be law that all men are shaped like that.

Also? hairless.

Sleepynitas last blog post..So Karen sent you, eh?

I have not watched a single minute of the Olympics.

Can we still be friends?

Angellas last blog post..Awesome. Not Awesome.

21. jeanie says:

My first olympic memories are of Montreal, but it was the 1982 Commonwealth Games in Brisbane that I learned the true beauty of men’s swimming, in the form of Alex Baumann and Victor Davis – nothing like a maple leaf to show of those pecs.

No, not a Canadian – but oh, some very nice Canadian candy!!

jeanies last blog post..At Aussie Bloggers today

I’m a teensy bit sad that I’ve not been watching – but did you know I do NOT have cable (crazy, I know!) and NBC does not come in on my tv. BOO for that. But, since I’m home for a week, perhaps I’ll try and make that channel work.

Rhis last blog post..this post may or may not be full of lies

23. […] accurate, they’re very lucky I am not Chinese. I would have totally fucked that up. And like Kristabella, I’m so addicted to these Olympics. I’m not sure what it is, maybe b/c it’s the […]

24. Laurel says:

I have been watching 100,000 hours of Olympics this week, too.

If Chicago gets the 2016 games I AM THERE!

Laurels last blog post..Coming Up For Air…