Something Else To Blame On My Crappy Dentist

Posted By on January 18, 2009

I thought I’d update all of you on my heartburn issues. I got into the doctor on Friday morning. After reading all your comments, I figured it was best to go in and see her, even if all I got was a prescription for Prilosec or something.

I actually had a bit of a stomachache Thursday night into Friday and pretty bad acid reflux, so I was glad I made the appointment. And then I woke up nauseous on Friday morning, so I was pretty sure something more than heartburn was going on.

Turns out, there is.

I like this doctor, but hate going to the doctor in general. I’m not sure why. I’ve never had a bad experience at the doctor. I told my doctor all my symptoms. She kind of asked me, with a raised eyebrow, about me having these symptoms since the beginning of December. I tried to defend myself, but really, I had no excuse. I thought it was heartburn and why pay a $20 co-pay for what I already knew?

But the reason I went in is because it has gotten BAD. Like all of a sudden, with no major changes to my weight or diet, it got to be annoying and really hard to deal with. And she agreed that it was weird. It doesn’t normally come on like that if there isn’t some issue somewhere else.

So the diagnosis is that I have some sort of stomach issue. It could be some big, long name of some sort of stomach infection, it could be an ulcer, it could be some sort of irritation of the stomach lining. She took blood work to see if there is an infection. But in the meantime, I’m on a powerful acid reducer for six weeks. And I’m supposed to follow an acid reflux diet in that time. Which means no SPICY TACOS for awhile.

But it also means NO COFFEE. Or NO CAFFEINE. Which means, I might have to ask her for a prescription for naps because these next few days are going to be a struggle. Plus, when I get a caffeine headache, like I did today, I can’t take Advil or Aleve to make it go away. I can take Tylenol, so at least that’s good. But taking Tylenol is like taking Smarties. It doesn’t do much.

At my appointment she asked about my Advil intake. And I mentioned that I take it regularly, and that up until September, I was taking it like candy. Because of all my teeth problems. (It all comes back to my craptastic old dentist.)

I had such pain with the two teeth that I eventually had root canals on that I was taking a lot of Advil. A LOT. I was popping 4 Advil every 3 1/2 hours for months on end. There might be a few weeks in there where I didn’t follow that routine, weeks where I had gone to the dentist and they thought they had solved the problem. But then just a few days after that, the pain would flare up again and I would go back to taking Advil like candy.

This whole thing goes back to late 2007. Which means, it was almost a whole year of this going on in one way or another. THAT IS A LOT OF ADVIL.

I’m not sure this is the reason for my issues right now. Even my doctor said it seems odd for it to hit me a few months later. My tooth was fixed in September, so I have been almost Advil-free since then. (I tend to take it when Aunt Flo comes to town each month and strangles my uterus.) But she said it could have been deteriorating over time and has just gotten worse. And since I did just take Advil about a week and a half ago, maybe that triggered it. Who knows?

But you know this is just another reason for me to want to sue the pants off that old Shitty McShitterson dentist.

In the meantime, I’m taking my medicine, hoping it will make me feel better in a few days and watching what I eat. I admit that what I made for dinner tonight wasn’t 100% acid-causing-free. But I’m trying. And thankfully my stomach reminds me when HEY YOU! YOU SHOULD NOT EAT THAT. Who knew mustard could be so mean?

Comments

31 Responses to “Something Else To Blame On My Crappy Dentist”

1. well I am so very glad that you got to the doctor and are taking care of yourself. Here’s hoping it’s nothing all that serious 🙂

Sensibly Sassys last blog post..Woof!

2. bikerchick says:

So glad you got this checked out! Even though an as-yet-undiagnosed condition is distressing, at least you have cause and effect about the Advil.
    And huuuuuuge bummer about no coffee…could you possibly substitute Water Joe to avoid the headaches? Damn that demon dentist to Hades, forever.

if you get a prescription for naps, I wanna borrow it, please.

Scarlets last blog post..Hero

4. jodiur says:

best wishes hon!

jodiurs last blog post..Shoe Friday #14

Here’s hoping the medication works and this is a short term problem with the end in sight!!!!!

So glad that you didn’t listen to the Prilose advice and went to see a real doctor. Good lord! I remember my mom had problems with Advil awhile back – she had bad arthritis, and they couldn’t do a knee replacement because the doctor had put her on daily Advil to manage the pain. Ironic, eh? Anyway, she got back to normal after she got off it and gave her body some time to heal – so hopefully the same will happen for you. Even though it’s been a few months, your stomach is probably still irritated and needs to be babied. Hope you feel better soon!

TUWABVBs last blog post..Farewell to an Ugly Week

7. tmc says:

I’m glad you took action and hope you’re back to eating spicy tacos in no time. 🙂

tmcs last blog post..Interview, round two

8. Aww man, I’m sorry to hear that. That effing dentist…she is totally to blame!

La Petite Chics last blog post..Not As Cold

From a life-long stomach ailment sufferer, you have my sympathies. I’d recommend starting to write down everything you eat, and how you felt after. Beyond whatever drugs they will end up giving you, just knowing what foods trigger the pain is a godsend.

Candys last blog post..In Which I Swear to You I am not a Germophobe.

10. GAH. I’m so sorry you have to deal with this.

By the way, “strangles my uterus” = hehehehe. Not that the act itself is at all humorous, but just the phrase . . .

Legallyblondemels last blog post..The "Couples Friends" Interview

11. Amber says:

No coffee? Aarrgh! Is wine still OK?

Glad you’re getting it checked out – it all sounds like no fun at all.

Ambers last blog post..Radiant Red

The first appointment always seems the hardest one to go to. Hopefully, it will be an infection that can be taken care of by drugs.

Good luck with the diet. And caffeine. I had to drop it a few years ago because of infertility issues and then 2 pregnancies, so I can feel your pain there.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sheris last blog post..Snappy Titles are overated

What about Aleve? Can you take that?

Rees last blog post..Mute Monday – A

Ah, yes, this same shit happened to me in college when I couldn’t afford the dentist and had a giant gaping hole in my tooth. My stomach lining got torn to shit, but it mostly manifested itself in intense burnong in my tum.

My mom ended up with an ulcer after taking lots of advil…I hope the same didn’t happen for you, too.

That said, acid blockers and diet helped the ulcer to heal right up…she just has to watch what she eats a bit more now…and unfortunately, she can’t take advil anymore.

Melissas last blog post..Ever Had A God Day?

16. December says:

dang. Hope they can fix you right up and you’re back to eating Spicy Taco’s in no time!

I have a dentist appt today.

Decembers last blog post..A New Beginning.

17. Erin says:

Wow. What a pain! Hopefully you’re fixed up soon!!

Erins last blog post..Toothache

18. tutugirl1345 says:

I almost fell out of my seat when I started calculating how much Advil you’d been taking! I hope they figure out what’s wrong and make you feel better quickly! And that the caffeine headache passes.

tutugirl1345s last blog post..An interview with TX Poppet

19. mouthybroad says:

i am SO GLAD that you went to the doctor and they are taking this very seriously. this stuff is nothing to ignore or mess around with. yay treatment!

oh, and eff that dentist you used to go to. what terrible people.

mouthybroads last blog post..Let’s Chat

That sucks, girl. I love things like mustard and such and need FLAVOR when I eat.

I hope it all clears up soon. xo

Angellas last blog post..With Friends Like These

21. Kerri Anne says:

I once took so many Advil in a certain (too short) span of time (because the headaches, they were constant-my entire family on my dad’s side suffers from them) that I had an allergic reaction to them. It was BAD. Like almost in the hospital, full-body hives and trouble breathing bad. So bizarre, because it really was a one-time thing (I hope), and it fully cleared up in about a week. It was just too much for my system, the doctor said.

I hope your stomach stops hurting, stat!

Kerri Annes last blog post..Sweet Salty three love notes and a request

22. Giggle Pixie says:

Oh man, no caffeine? No spicy tacos? Ugh…and I’m not even going to ask about alcohol…

I’m so sorry! I sure hope that medicine clears up the problem and there’s no further issue. But at least you’ll know what you’re dealing with.

Giggle Pixies last blog post..Was There Really Any Doubt?

23. Jennie says:

Yikes! When do you get the results from your bloodwork back?

Jennies last blog post..Baby Urban Outfitters Model? I think so!

24. YellowMutt says:

I did the excessive advil thing. It is surprising to me that my stomach isn’t just shredded at this point. I started waking up with joint pain…and it got worse and worse, and as it got worse, the more advil I took. I started taking 5 advil a day in 2005, until 3 years later and still living with joint pain, I was up to 36 advil a day. I took them 18 at a time twice a day. I lived. but my stomach started bothering me pretty bad, and heartburn started, so I had to quit. Now I just live with pain in my joints, but have quit the advil. Just wanted to let you know, I’ve been there…and it really could be causing this problem. I just somehow seem to have an iron stomach that I could do that for so long.

25. Erin says:

Do you have to avoid caffeine entirely or just the ingestion of it? I ask because I think ThinkGeek.com sells caffeinated soap… 🙂

Erins last blog post..We Have a Winner!

26. regan says:

In high school I tore my stomach lining up. It was a nasty and not happy time. But eventually it got better and yours will too! Think happy thoughts! Ponies and butterflies and midget jello wrestling!

regans last blog post..you take the good, you take the bad

27. lainey says:

I had severe acid reflux and it damaged my esphogus. I had to have surgery to repair it. Good thing you are getting this checked out early. Good Luck!

28. Jessica Bern says:

I just wrote a post on having Acid Reflux a couple of weeks ago. I too suffer badly from it and I too took a lot of Advil after having a knee injury, which was quickly followed by a back injury and then a hamstring sprain. I barely take Advil at all anymore and now no more oranges, ever. I know your pain, literally.

29. Chibi Jeebs says:

Okay, y’all are freaking me out about my Advil dependency, but that’s probably a GOOD thing.

I would also like this prescription for naps you speak of. Mmmm, naps.

30. metalia says:

NOOOO! Oy, you poor thing. Well, at least you got it taken care of with a clear course of action…nothing is worse than a vague diagnosis, you know?

metalias last blog post..I predict I’m going to lose and/or scare most of you at the "Jackie Chan Adult Film" portion of this post