Minnesota: Where They Like To Spell

Posted By on November 6, 2008

This past weekend I took a trip up to Minnesota to visit my friend Julie and her husband Joe. Julie is pregnant with her first child and I wanted to go up and see her before she pops out Cletus the Fetus. Also, I didn’t realize how badly I needed a little mini-break until I was up there. As much as unemployment seems like an extended vacation, it isn’t. It is nice to get away sometimes and not worry about jobs and why no one is calling you back and whether it is possible for your ass to turn into an actual couch cushion.

Flights were out of control (seriously, it was cheaper to fly to Arizona than 400 miles away to Minneapolis) so I decided to rent a car and drive up there. It actually isn’t a bad drive, even though 90 percent of the trip is in Wisconsin. I had never seen that part of Wisconsin before and it isn’t too bad. It’s a lot prettier than the Milwaukee side of Wisconsin, for sure.

And of course, no trip re-cap from me would be complete without a bulleted list. And away we have it!

• On my drive Friday, I stopped off to buy candy and Gatorade in Hudson, Wisconsin, which is right on the border of Minnesota. I was wearing my Bacon shirt. The cashier guy was all “What Would Bacon Do?” and then I laughed because NO ONE HAS EVER GOTTEN IT. And then he said probably the funniest thing EVER “Probably sit there and look delicious, I bet.”
  • I think I laughed about that the rest of the trip.
  • We might have a new Bacon t-shirt slogan.
  • Friday night we met my friend Sharma out for dinner. Sharm and I met freshman year of college and have been friends since. I also got to meet her boyfriend, who is very nice. And I’m sure is sick of hearing our old ASU stories.
  • This is Sharm. I am posting it because after I took it she asked if it would be on the blog. And I said yes. And I am not a liar.

• Even if my face is fat enough to look like I am full of hot air.
  • On Saturday I got to see my second Minnesota Gophers hockey game. When they say that Minnesota is a hockey state, they are not lying. They had people travel all over the state to come to St. Paul to watch college hockey. I know, it boggles my mind too.
  • I met a cute boy in line for the elevator who asked to see my ticket. Being the seasoned event-attending pro, I told him no. I wasn’t born yesterday! And also told him “that’s the oldest trick in the book!” So he offered to show me his. He then dreamily looked into my eyes, asked me if I knew how he could get to his seats and then mocked me for being a broadcasting major in college because it has clearly gotten me nowhere.
  • I would move to Minnesota if I knew I could have run-ins with cute boys like that on a daily basis.
  • At my previous University of Minnesota hockey game, I giggled every time the team scored and the ENTIRE CROWD then spelled Minnesota. Spelling at sporting events is funny. And it isn’t like Minnesota is CAT or IOWA or some small word. By the time they finish spelling that long word, they’ve already scored another goal and then again with MORE SPELLING.
  • If I ever misspell Minnesota, I should be shot.
  • We found out that like 98 percent of the schools in Minnesota spell something at hockey games. Sadly, none of the things they spell are vulgar. Unless you think Minnesota is a vulgar word.
  • The game was played at the XCel Energy Center in St. Paul, home of the Minnesota Wild and the 2008 Republican National Convention. When I found this out, I was all “Hmmm, it still smells like Palin.”
  • What does Palin smell like, you ask? Moose. Death. Blubber.
  • Also, I would like to point out that the Gophers were playing the MAVERICKS that night. I couldn’t make this shit up if I tried.
  • On Sunday we went to a bar in downtown St. Paul, Alary’s Bar, that is an all Chicago Bears bar on Sundays. Literally every TV is tuned to the Bears game. No TVs show the Viqueens.
  • It was better than being at a bar in Chicago.

• The waitresses at this bar wear some revealing outfits. They wear these shorts that would make a Hooters waitress blush. Let me just say it is A LOT of ass cheek.
  • In true Kristabella style, the blog was mentioned and business cards were given out. Because I am nothing when drunk if not a shameless self-promoter.
  • Minnesota shows a LOT of political ads. Their local races were exciting! And dirty! I am kind of glad that the people I vote for always win by a large margin.
  • Even if the person I just voted for got named Chief of Staff.
  • Overall it was a great weekend, spent with great friends. And I’m excited I got to see Julie preggers before she had her little guy or girl. It was just what I needed.

Comments

20 Responses to “Minnesota: Where They Like To Spell”

I’m usually way too busy shouting obscenities to spell at hockey games, that totally blows my mind!

Maybe I should try SPELLING my obscenities?

Ravens last blog post..the american dream

2. witchypoo says:

Dang. No pajamas? I worry about you.

witchypoos last blog post..Take Your Country Back!

What is the ticket trick?!?

4. Sounds like a great T-R-I-P!

Dutchess of Kickballs last blog post..Great/Bad/Better

What a neat trip. I have to say, Minnesota sounds like a foreign country to me. Do they speak English there?

Candys last blog post..In Which I Stop Trying To Explain the Electoral College to my College-Aged Child

6. Lori says:

Aww – what a cute pic of you and JRC! Now you get to tell the kid you knew it before it was born. 🙂

7. christa says:

yeah, i want to know the ticket trick, too. also, man i love when they spell minnesota. i get goose bumps. gophers games are fun.

christas last blog post..evil urges …

8. Julie says:

We miss you! Even Al Franken misses you… GO AL, GO!

9. Evil Genius says:

The only thing I spell out when my team scores is “Hell Yeah!” Don’t they serve beer at those Minnesota games? I wonder how people can even spell Minnesota after a few beers!! lol

Yay for Cletus the Fetus!! I just hope that’s not still his (or her!) nickname in high school. Ha!

Evil Geniuss last blog post..Because We All Need a Little Random Right Now

10. How can you go through a whole post and NOT mention that guy that looks like a cross between (skinny) Al Roker and the lead singer from Hootie & The Blowfish? Now I’ll just have to invent stuff about him..

thecoconutdiariess last blog post..Before

11. PFF Syndrome is a serious malaise. I, too, suffer from Photo Fat Face, and one day we will all meet anonymously and share our tales of Facebook and Gravatar woes caused by this debilitating disease.

And here in Vancouver, we don’t spell out our city’s name at hockey games. We just riot instead.

Amanda Nicoles last blog post..spotting second-hand gems

12. Sharma says:

Yay!! I made the blog- and my eyes were open in the picture. Even after two big beers. Life is good. Great seeing you KJ- Adam thinks you’re great, hopes we can visit Chicago some time!

oldest trick in the book? huh? tell me! i want to know the tricks!

alis last blog post..a conversation between me and my spouse

14. What is this ticket trick of which you speak? And on the quasi unemployment front, today, I decided to take my resume to a firm in person, wandered around the damn building trying to find the office, finally found it, the door had a sign that said “for employees only, please use outside door.” While reading the sign, I could hear women’s voices inside cackling and I decided screw it. I’ll mail the damn thing in.

ballerinatoess last blog post..My Mom is a Vampire

I love that you handed out business cards…

Angellas last blog post..Sunday Is A Day Of Rest

Love the color of your hair!

Glad you had a good time.

17. WWBD? WWBD? I would so get the bacon shirt if I saw you out wearing it. As a vegetarian, Bacon is the only meant that I miss.

Shamelessly Sassys last blog post..NaSurvThiMo

18. As someone who was born in La Crosse, WI and now lives in Minneapolis, works downtown…I totally know the drive you are talking about. Yes–much better than the Milwaukee side…seriously. I mean, S-E-R-I-O-U-S-L-Y!!!

P.S. So, Ali is saying something about A JOB OFFER A JOB OFFER A JOB OFFER!!!!!! Helllloooooo! POSTPOSTPOST!!!

19. Suzi says:

Well, geez. I grew up in Minnesota and still live here, and it never occurred to me that there was anything odd about spelling stuff during sporting events. Now that I see it through your eyes, though, it’s pretty frickin’ weird. No weirder than stirring a can of cream of mushroom soup into each and every item you cook, though.

Suzis last blog post..5KX3

20. Chris says:

Rahm was your Congressman?? Dang, you are unlucky. Or very lucky. I’m not sure on that one?

Chriss last blog post..Great weather we’re having….