Help Me Pick Furniture

Posted By on August 11, 2009

My lack of posting has been due to the fact that when I’m awake, I’m exhausted enough to be asleep. Like last night when I went to bed at 8:45 and tonight when I may have fallen asleep on the couch watching TV with my laptop open on my lap. Apparently these guys are very influential. (Please don’t eat them, Jennster.)

sleeping cats

But as much as I don’t like to post something just to post, I know if I go any longer without posting, I’m going to give it up altogether. (Can I use the word post any more in one sentence? Geez.) So I’m forcing myself to write, and asking you to help me make some decisions with my furniture. It’s a win-win! For everyone! Or just me.

So I’m currently looking for a linen cabinet to put in my bedroom. In my last apartment, I had this really nice built in linen cabinet where I put sheets and towels and stored miscellaneous/extra bathroom items. And because I don’t have something like that in my condo, I’m on the hunt for something like that to use for storage and MAYBE get some damn boxes out of the entryway. It’s only been three damn months since I moved in.

Last Friday I took a trip to IKEA to see what they had as options. Since I drive a small Nissan Sentra, I wasn’t planning on buying anything that day, I just needed to look around and see my options in person, and not just online. Plus there is also a futon thing I’m looking at there that I needed to see in person (and now need to measure the bedroom wall to make sure it will fit).

Here is one option for the linen storage thingy.

ikea wardrobe white

It’s actually from the children’s furniture, but it totally will serve the purpose I need.

Here’s option two:

yellow linen cabinet

It would force me to keep it neat since people can SEE IN IT.

Here’s the dilemma. My bedroom furniture is all light wood. It’s a dresser, nightstand and TV stand. None of it matches, it’s not part of a set. My dresser was the main piece I built around because it’s awesome and tall and holds a ton of stuff.

bedroom

So I’m worried about things not matching. Would it be weird to get a white or yellow cabinet that doesn’t match? Also, would it be weird to have white bedroom furniture, because I kind of want to get this as a TV stand now.

ikea tv stand white

White furniture totally screams children’s room, doesn’t it? I had white furniture as a kid. I should stop shopping in the children’s section of IKEA and just get the yellow cabinet, huh? I just don’t know. GAH! Can you help me? What do you suggest? A whole new bedroom set? (HAHAHAHA!)

Feel free to leave other ideas (with links, preferably) in the comments.

Comments

43 Responses to “Help Me Pick Furniture”

If it were my room, I would get the white ones. I know that I would never be able to keep things neat enough for the one with glass doors.

You could always paint all (or just some) of your furniture so that it matches or coordinates better.
    .-= -R-´s last blog ..Nine Months Is =-.

Does it have to go in your room? It would be great if you had a spot in the hallway or something. Then, matching won’t matter.

And, two is lovely. But, disclaimer: I really do not care for white furniture.
    .-= Rhi´s last blog ..Friday Bullets: So, so tired Edition =-.

3. Elizabeth says:

I have white bedroom furniture and I love it. It goes with everything and is totally easy to decorate around. And everything else you get can be painted white to match.
    I have had my eye on that yellow cabinet for ages, it’s tres awesome, IMHO. However I think if you were going to get the yellow, maybe you’d have to paint everything else white. If you hate having your stuff showing you could always line the clear glass with cute paper.
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Unsupervised. =-.

4. Erin says:

The second one is linensy-er and, since it is lower and longer, it might be able to double as a television stand (depending on the size of your television) which would save you valuable floor space.

Personally, white furniture makes me think of patios. I’m not sure why.
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Sunday Evening Wrap Up =-.

5. regan says:

I say two because it’s visually lighter than option one. Does that make sense?

I really wanted a white crib for the kid’s room, but jparks was against it. He has a things about being able to see wood grain even if it’s fake wood grain.
    .-= regan´s last blog ..the girl that cried wolf =-.

6. Christina says:

I like the second one better. White furniture can look very…cheap, if not done right. I’ve seen a very few bedrooms with white furniture that actually manage to look nice.

And I agree with the above person who said put it in the hallway if there is room.

7. Julienne says:

Hmm, Alex and I are planning on buying all white bedroom furniture in the next couple of weeks. I think mostly because there is a lot of wood in our house and we’re trying to work with it.
    .-= Julienne´s last blog ..Titles escape me. =-.

8. witchypoo says:

You’re limiting yourself with Ikea. Get a yard sale trunk. You’re storing bedding. The TV can sit on top of it. And they look interesting.
    .-= witchypoo´s last blog ..Freak Show Clairvoyant Edition =-.

9. My bedroom furniture is white so clearly I don’t think it would be weird at all. I would say, don’t worry about the color matching, just the style. I can’t really see what your dresser looks like, but that yellow cabinet is super cute.

You know I am going to vote for the yellow one since that is one my wish list. I agree with Elizabeth, you can cover the inside with paper, fabric or they even have spray paint that frosts glass.
    .-= Raven´s last blog ..wanting wednesday =-.

11. Kate says:

I just repainted my parent’s old 1970’s bedroom furniture black because I didn’t want to buy a whole new set for my second bedroom. I liked it so much I put it in my room. Try and do something with what you’ve got, and maybe get the white cabinet. I would hate to have to keep everything organized in the glass door cabinet.

12. Alex says:

I had white furniture as a kid also (from Ikea). So, I’m not a fan. It’s one thing when a solid piece of wood furntiure is painted white, but the Ikea stuff is partical board (and looks like partical board) IMHO. Having said that, I do like the white linen closet, but don’t think it will go with your room.

Do you have shelving above your washer and dryer? What about storing linens there?

Also, check out the cabinets on Overstock.com. I bought my coffee table from them. The shipping is cheap, but you do have to put it together (but I’m guessing you are ok with that since Ikea is the same way). And I like that you can read other people’s reviews. Plus, they email out 10% off coupons all the time.

13. Alex says:

Wanted to add that I like the yellow one and if it’s not going to be on the same wall as another piece of wood furniture, it may work out.

And for your TV, wait for a great deal and buy an LCD one to mount on the all 🙂

14. Alex says:

*wall

number 2! number 2!

yeah…white kind of screams child’s room ahoy! to me. not sure why.
    .-= ali´s last blog ..It is only Tuesday. and yet. =-.

16. I really like the yellow one…
    .-= nancypearlwannabe´s last blog ..Bingo Wings =-.

17. I’m with the group screaming for #2, too.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..In the Dark =-.

18. Yellow cabinet! It’s very pretty, and I’m of the camp that if it’s pretty and functional, it will naturally go with everything else you have.
    .-= Amanda Nicole´s last blog ..~ =-.

19. bikerchick says:

I’m with Witchypoo– get something altogether different. The white one looks too, uh, apothecary-ish, and the yellow one is too different from what you already own. How about something like wicker that will complement your bedroom furniture and doubles as TV storage? http://tinyurl.com/mbpl2c I also agree that you should try to place this piece in a hallway or bathroom, especially if it is for storing spare bath items. They even make them to go above the toilet if you don’t have much floor space in the bath. But if you have to put it in the bedroom, how about a storage bench you could put at the foot of your bed to do double duty, something like these? http://tinyurl.com/mw9ltc

20. Erin says:

The cabinets we keep our linens in are also from Ikea…but from the office furniture section. Seriously. They have glass doors but the doors are frosted so you can’t really see what’s behind them.

I can’t really help with color coordinating, though. I’m one of those people who likes everything to be all matchy-matchy. I do like the style of the yellow one better than the white one, though. It’s much more versatile.
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Running with the OPRC =-.

21. What about this one from Target? It kind of combines the look of the two you posted.
    .-= La Petite Chic´s last blog ..Bump Day – Week 10 =-.

22. inkpuddle says:

You all are hurting my white bedroom furniture’s feelings! Just the same, I think the second one is more visually appealing.

On a random note, I like how your flippie-floppies match your bedspread in the picture.
    .-= inkpuddle´s last blog ..Muttshots and updates from the Menagerie of Inky =-.

23. I love the second one!
    .-= She Likes Purple´s last blog ..Updates =-.

24. Cis4Connie says:

In terms of the yellow cabinet…

DON’T DO IT, DON’T DO IT! As a fellow person who also falls asleep before Family Guy and would rather live out of a suitcase/box than unpack, I could never picture having a see through cabinet with lineens none the less, which I like to roll up and shove in. Yes you could cover the windows, but really? That sounds like work…

Good luck- I like the white!

=D
    .-= Cis4Connie´s last blog ..Nurse Ratchid, paging Nurse Ratchid…. =-.

25. CC says:

I like the ones that aren’t see through, if only because they look neater and allow you to hide the mess inside, when and if there is a mess (and at some points there will be).

Are there any outlet stores in your city? I got a really nice TV stand from a Bed Bath & Beyond outlet for under $40, a dark brown color. I also got my night stand from there, for about the same price.

You have about the same colors I do in my bedroom, and all my furniture is dark, though not the same color. My nightstand is black and my TV stand is dark brown. I would think that because of the white wall fixtures, the white furniture would not look out of place at all!
    .-= CC´s last blog ..How to properly read a James Patterson novel =-.

26. Carrisa says:

Option two is awesome. It’s my favorite. I’d probably love it more in a different color, but I still love it.

27. HollyLynne says:

I especially like the yellow one. And I don’t think the non matching will be a huge issue . . . your linens will show through the glass and I assume they’re multi colored. You can always change your bedding or add new pillows to tie the colors in. Breaking up a set is a good thing, in my book! I love the way pieces look all mixed up together.
    .-= HollyLynne´s last blog ..We have a winner!!! =-.

28. tracey says:

God, don’t ask ME. I buy by price. Which is the cheapest? That’s the one to get. 🙂 Also, the thought of having to keep a cabinet clean is one more chore that will suck.
    .-= tracey´s last blog ..A book to read before you jump… =-.

29. Wendy says:

I like the yellow… it’s cool! Different. Could you put your t.v on top of the yellow cabinet? (and you could paint your bedroom dresser).

30. Judy says:

I love the yellow one. Much prettier than the others. Linens don’t look that bad, anyway. Some of them are even pretty. All you have to do is fold them. Anyway, even if it’s not perfect inside, the yellow one is much nicer.

Colorwise, I like the white one…but for looks I like the yellow one. Maybe you could get the stuff you put over the glass to frost it so you can’t see through it…and then paint it white.

I doubt I’m helping.
    .-= Sheri´s last blog ..Oops He did it again =-.

32. michele says:

i don’t think white furniture has to mean children’s room–my mom has white bedroom furniture and it is just bright and happy. i would vote against the glass–looks a little not linen-closet-esque to me. and then the tidiness factor.

why are you putting your linen closet in your bedroom?

i have a futon from ikea (can’t find it on their website) that folds in thirds so it is narrower than the traditional futon. but not the same way as the ones i see online (odd). we like it a lot and it is very handy. much better than the traditional bulky ones.

you know–i don’t think “option 2” would be so bad as your tv stand?! go with your medium/light wood furniture.

i agree with going with the best piece you have and matching that.

if i find something to link to i will add it later.
    .-= michele´s last blog ..June is for Camping =-.

33. jennster says:

i can’t wait for EAT KITTENS FRIDAY!!!!!!!!! LOL
    i love the look and the style of #2
    .-= jennster´s last blog ..i miss blake. =-.

34. Mama Bub says:

I love white bedroom furniture. My parents just got rid of some gorgeous white furniture and I briefly considered redecorating around the dresser alone. That said, I like the white. You have white accents in your room that would tie it all together. I would be VERY nervous about having a cabinet that people can see into, but that could just be me because that sucker will never be neat again after day one.
    .-= Mama Bub´s last blog ..Weekend Highs & Lows =-.

35. I think white bedroom furniture looks chic. I say white fo sho
    .-= Sensibly Sassy´s last blog ..Sorry, I Just Can’t Help Myself =-.

36. Deb says:

Let’s all take a deep breath and STEP AWAY FROM THE WHITE. (Sorry white fans). Personally, I find white furniture, especially bedroom furniture, to be hideous. I prefer more natural colors for the bedroom as I think they are more calming. I like things like this: http://www.lafuente.com/product.php?pid=21
    There are flat top versions that would be useful for holding your tv. I do like the styling of choice 2, though. Do you ever shop Ballards? I like that they have smaller sized furniture items that fit into my smaller sized house. http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Furniture/Cabinets/Bathroom-Cabinets/Vetrina-Cabinet/p/1116?path=1%2C2%2C1443%2C1474%2C1673&iProductID=1116

37. Snarky Mommy says:

I personally think you should build the room around the flip flops, but that’s just me.

I like the light wood cabinet with the glass doors. Stylish! You could totally roll the towels and stack them in baskets in there and it would look super nice.
    .-= Snarky Mommy´s last blog ..Big love =-.

38. JRM says:

I like option 2, but for no particular reason. I have similar issue – everything is a different color wood. I’m planning on painting everything. Everything here in the land of brown desert is well you know, brown. And I am rebelling. I want anything not brown. Or beige.

39. I like the yellow one, but it doesn’t match at all. I think the white one is fine, but also like Witchypoo’s idea of getting a trunk.

Have you thought about going to an unfinished furniture store? They have lots of options and you could paint or stain the piece anyway you wanted. I don’t have one of those stores in my town, so I ordered some things online for really reasonable prices.
    .-= Jen on the Edge´s last blog ..Icky poo =-.

Two!
    .-= Angella´s last blog ..Raging In Portland =-.

41. Jenny James says:

Hi I was looking at your website and I think that buying TV Stands is well worth the investment. If you want to open up a room and save space, I recommend Wall Mounted Furniture. BDI TV Stands are also very good looking and classy and I recommend those as well.

42. The Tutugirl says:

So this is a little late, but I’m using two different things for my linens- a chest at the end of my bed and one of those Ikea ottomans that has storage space inside. Its a little unconventional, but might allow you to find stuff that matches your bedroom set a little better.
    .-= The Tutugirl´s last blog ..Clearly, I am no Miss Manners =-.