Frankie Says Relax

Posted By on January 11, 2009

I just took two Benedryl to help me sleep tonight, so if you get to the end of this post and it makes no sense, or there are sentences consisting of OMGncidOMKDLSvnfeuigni, then you know the reason.

So those of you who follow me on Twitter know that I had an 80s party to attend this weekend. I twittered all my woes in finding something to wear because I wasn’t willing to pay $45 for a neon shirt. And I’m fat and tall, so I didn’t have any luck at the vintage stores.

Anyway, so I went to an 80s party on Friday night. It was at her house. I haven’t really mentioned it to a lot of people because I don’t want to brag, but yeah, I went to a party at Jen Lancaster’s house! And I was actually invited! SQUEEE! And there were other bloggers there! I met Poppy! And Susie Sunshine! And Blackbird! And we talked about our general dislike of Dooce and her ugly book cover!

Jen’s house was fabulous and she was an excellent host, of course. Except when she tells you to say something funny on cue, otherwise NO CHAMPAGNE FOR YOU! And then I distracted her with something shiny so I wouldn’t have to come up with something funny when all I could think of was “mmmm, champagne. I can has?”

One funny thing about Jen Lancaster parties is that when you meet people, the natural question is to ask how you know Jen and/or Fletch. And then I tell the story about how she was awesome and came to our book club and actually liked us and still talks to me and now invites me to parties! And then I mention that she wrote about our book club in her third book. And then usually the person you’re talking to will be all “oh, I’m so-and-so in the books.” It was like all the characters of her books gathering in one place!

So I struggled with what to wear. I wanted something that screamed 80s, but didn’t want to spend a small fortune. So this is what I ended up with.

80s-outfit

I think I did pretty well. Once I found those electric blue tights, I had to somehow work the outfit them around them. So I added a side ponytail, big hoop earrings and some canvas shoes and I was good to go.

Here are a few other photos.

80s-girls

80s-group

It was so much fun! Looking at everyone’s outfits was such a blast from the past. You forget how many bad, bad fashion trends the 80s gave us. There were a lot of loud colors and tight-rolled jeans and big hair. And then you remember how many bad, bad fashion trends have come back into style. (Hello! You can buy electric blue tights and leg warmers at Walmart!)

And now I’m going to go to bed before this Benedryl makes me start drooling on my computer. Otherwise my alarm won’t be able to wake me up before I go-go to work tomorrow.

Comments

39 Responses to “Frankie Says Relax”

1. christa says:

the last time i took two benedryl, it took me three days to shake it. i hope you have coffee on the menu.

that outfit gave me plenty of flashbacks to grade school. good job!

can someone explain to me why no one likes dooce? i like dooce.

christas last blog post..cookies are the new beer …

Love the outfit!!!!!

3. Carrie says:

Friday was so much fun! Thanks for extending the invite to us! 🙂

4. tutugirl1345 says:

Talk about an enviable weekend! Wow!

tutugirl1345s last blog post..Yay for Makeovers!

5. Manic Mommy says:

I am still so mad that we didn’t go! It was one of those, “Is it going to snow or not? How bad is it going to be? Let’s just risk it.” debate after debate.

Of course, had it been the ’80s and if I were still just 20-something with no kids, Mr. Manic and I woulda said eff it and jumped into my pontiac sunbird with the bumper stickers “Party Animal” and “Florida Native” with our four-pack of Bartles & James wine coolers and his mad dog 20/20 in the front seat and our cassette tape blaring Violent Femmes WHY CAN’T I GET JUST ONE F#CK! and rolled with it!

Sorry to have missed it and you, and Jessica! And Jen and Fletch!

Your outfit is great!

Manic Mommys last blog post..SuNDaY BLooDY SuNDaY

Hot Topic looks like the 80’s puked all over it. Skinny jeans in neon colors, checkered tops and jelly bracelets; I was horrified.

Ravens last blog post..cue the theme to Xanadu

7. Jen says:

awesome outfit!

I was also wondering about the Dooce hating…was trying to figure out if that was a joke or serious.

I like Dooce too

LOVE IT ALL.

Please tell me your vocab was full of “like” and “totally” for the evening.

Rhis last blog post..Friday Bullets: Two Week Notice Edition

9. Those are some totally awesome outfits! You guys rocked it out hardcore!

Dutchess of Kickballs last blog post..I Really Am Funny, I Promise

10. Cindy from Cincinnati says:

Could not be more jealous! Of both the party, and the fact that it was JEN LANCASTER’S party! OMG! Wow! I’m hoping she blogs about it, too! Your outfit is awesome. V. Flashdance inspired!

i want to go to an 80s party SO badly right now. it totally beats the ugly christmas party…which is pretty fucking awesome in itself.

alis last blog post..my ali-never-gets-hit-on reputation remains and a contest

12. JRM says:

Gah! I would have to love to have gone, mostly so that I could say “I was in the first book” “FIRST!”

Haha. Great outfit.

13. Lori says:

Too funny. 80s parties are the best! At the last 80s party I went to I dressed as Slash from GNR and totally rocked that look. Scary.

I’m curious, too. Why did all the bloggers at the par-tay hate Dooce?

Loris last blog post..let their be light…rail

14. December says:

I love costume parties – looks like Big fun!

So – odd sidenote, the Big Guy and I were in Amsterdam in 2001, and went to a live sex show. (the banana bar, if you’re interested. Not too scary, 2 drink minimum at the time.) and Frankie says Relax was the song that the two ‘performers’ were doing it to.
    Odd image in my head every time I hear it.
    We left soon after the pearl skit.

Decembers last blog post..Weekend Wrap Up

15. Jessica says:

The party looks so fun. Just curious — why do you not like Dooce? I don’t know that much about her except that she’s always like the “archetype” blog person.

Love the outfit…I wore one just like it to dinner last night 😉

Melissas last blog post..Lay Down On the Bed…They’ll Zip Right Up….

17. Kimberly says:

You look totally awesome to the MAX!!! xoxo

Kimberlys last blog post..I Know You Wanna See Me Salsa

18. Giggle Pixie says:

That looked like such fun! Good for you, and your outfit was perfect!

Giggle Pixies last blog post..Welcome to My Life

19. Molly says:

I LOVE a theme party. I’m looking at your photos and laughing – a few years ago, some friends of mine had an 80’s prom. Cause what can be worse than an outfit from the 80’s than formal wear from the 80s.

Mollys last blog post..Ooops…

20. Noelle says:

Those are some kickin’ electric blue tights. I think you did quite well with what you had!

Noelles last blog post..Massive head wound Noelle

Oh, an 80’s party would be stellar. Maybe when I’m in Chicago we’ll dress like that just for kicks. Or, you know, not.

Angellas last blog post..On Faith

22. blackbird says:

You looked so DAMN FINE!

It was great meeting you – what a lot of fun we all had!

blackbirds last blog post..snow blind

23. Was there dancing? Were you a maniac, maniac on the floor? Dancing like you’ve never danced before?

Anonymous New Yorks last blog post..I know, er, HOPE you’re out there!!

I am so freakin’ jealous I can’t even talk to you right now.

jealous. GREEN.

Yea, I still love you though.

Rees last blog post..Mute Monday – Z (and some other stuff)

25. Chris says:

Awesome. And I bow down to your clearly superior social skills to pull in Jen Lancaster to your social circle- well done!
    (And I admire your ability to blast Dooce without fear of the Hobbit situation landing on your blog- nerves of steel. Or just bigger balls than me.)

Chriss last blog post..Facebook Induced Mania?

26. moo says:

oh WOW you are ROCKIN’ the 80’s style girl!

moos last blog post..GD, GD

27. Because I e-know various people who were at the party, I’ve seen loads of photos and have been DYING over the amazing creativity and humor. You looked so very 80s!

Jen on the Edges last blog post..Three will win

28. angel says:

i have to add my question as well…why DON’T you like dooce? i’ve always thought she was really open and honest in her writing and admired that about her…am i missing something?

also very funny that you went to a jen lancaster party, since it took re-reading bitter to break the sad, sad twilight daze i found myself in after reading all four books in two weeks in december.

29. Totally rad costume dude!

I *knew* you’d look awesome! Love the outfit – the pink and the blue and the sweats… perfect! Like I said, I totally would’ve sent you my “Frankie Says Relax” t-shirt if I’d known ahead of time!

And re: Hawaii… we’re going to have to figure out how to get you into my suitcase.

Bitchin’ workout shorts.

slynnros last blog post..This is a test.

32. Ann Marie says:

This is one of my favorite posts: an 80s party, awesome bloggers, worlds colliding, a tribute to 80s fashion. This post has it all.

You’re a better blogger than Dooce. Just putting that out there. 🙂

Ann Maries last blog post..Pop Some Bottles!

The last 80s party I want to, we went roller skating first. Hahahha…

Awesome outfit! You did a good job.

Scarlets last blog post..Statues

34. Eileen says:

Bad fashion?! I think NOT. You all look rocking.

Eileens last blog post..It’s the economy stupid

35. Poppy Buxom says:

That party was totally AWESOME. And it was really fun meeting you.

As for dooce? Gag me with a spoon.

OK, I’m kidding. But I think the general feeling is that we live in a post-Hobbitgate world.

Anyway, the rest of you can go ahead and hate dooce. I’m going to be much more edgy. I’m going to hate Pioneer Woman.

Poppy Buxoms last blog post..Even as I type this, I’m winning Worst Mother of the Year award.

36. Amber says:

Haha that’s fantastic – your costume is fabulous!

Ambers last blog post..Radiant Red

Wow…..

I was actually happy she made me her friend in Facebook.

I love her writing and I’m a huge fan. You are lucky to know her.

Sheris last blog post..Sometimes You Just Gotta Say…..

38. Jennie says:

Sweet outfit! I’m bummed you didn’t go all the way by dragging out the curling iron and the RAVE hairspray. There’s nothing quite like 80’s bangs. 😉

Jennies last blog post..Baby Urban Outfitters Model? I think so!