Tectonic Plates: Your New Alarm Clock

Posted By on April 18, 2008

Guess what we had in Illinois today? Why am I even asking. It’s like almost the end of the day so if you haven’t heard you’re my hero because that means you spend all your waking hours reading celebrity news and you could care less about what is going on in the real world.

We had an earthquake today in Southern Illinois. It hit 5.2 on the Richter scale. It was felt up to 450 miles from the epicenter. It happened at around 4:30 Friday morning. This sentence doesn’t start with IT.

I slept through it. That in itself is NOT shocking, seeing as I have a knack for sleeping through FIRE. And I’m pretty sure I slept through my fair share of little quakes when I lived in California.

When my alarm went of this morning, I heard the DJ talking about an earthquake and I slapped the snooze button for the sixth and possibly final time, seeing as my whole department was either off today or coming in late. As I dozed for another seven minutes, I thought “that’s weird. She just wrote about earthquakes. I hope she’s OK.” See, because I figured the earthquake was in a place where EARTHQUAKES HAPPEN.

When I finally got up, I heard more talk of this earthquake. And I thought “Jesus Christ people, they get them all the time. It’s not even that big! Get OVER it!” And then the DJ mentioned CTA and sidewalks buckling downtown and where to take cover in the event of another quake this morning.

What, what, WHAT? The earthquake WAS HERE? Like in Chicago? MY CITY?

I immediately turned on the news and got the scoop. And then I said to myself “you know, one of these times you are going to sleep through one of these disasters and you won’t be so lucky.”

Someone asked me if the cats felt it. And I told them they are MY cats. So clearly they slept through it too.

I woke up very dizzy and with a huge headache. And then I remembered that those are the same symptoms I always had in Cali when the Earth moved. I am a delicate flower and my equilibrium is very sensitive to seismic activity, apparently. (And woo hoo! Just hit my big word quotient for the week in that sentence!)

My dizziness and pounding headache lasted most of the morning. It wasn’t helped by the 4.5 aftershock at 10:15 this morning, which I felt. And no one else did. “It’s a truck,” they said. “Sit back down,” they moaned.

“But I’m DIZZZZZY and my head is killing me!” I whined.

And then I went to the website that tells of all the earthquakes in the world, just to PROVE MY POINT. I mean, I had to blame the falling out of my chair from the dizziness on SOMETHING other than the vodka in my Wheaties.

Comments

21 Responses to “Tectonic Plates: Your New Alarm Clock”

1. Nicole says:

Heh. I slept through a tree falling through the house 20 feet from where I was sleeping. 🙂

Glad everything’s okay

2. Vanessa says:

At least the priorities were kept straight, sleep first, then earthquake info. 😉

I’d rather have vodka in my wheaties. 🙂

I wish I could sleep through stuff, but it sucks that you had the dizziness and extreme headache.

Delicate flower of the crass variety (yes I know I already used that in e-mail. I think it’s funny)

Raven’s last blog post..i prefer my wheaties sans piss, thank you

I guess I’m your hero because I had no idea. I spent my day doing actual work though, not reading celebrity crap.

slynnro’s last blog post..Another Advisory Against Going to the Gym

Delicate flower. I will never read or hear that enough. I love it.
    I was AWAKE when the earthquake hit & I did’t feel it…nor did I feel the aftershock at work on the 8th floor. It was Friday & jeans day & pay day so I guess I was distracted.

6. Yeah, I felt it. It woke me up because Dear Hubby’s closet door was rattling, and the bed started shaking. Decature is about 120 miles (I think) from the epicenter. It was kinda freaky actually – – didn’t seem to bother my cats, though. The only thing that seemed to annoy them is when Hubby came into the room and turned on the ceiling light to check on us. They gave him a look like, “Aw Jeez – – turn off the damn light!” Yup, they’re my kitties, all right – – same attitude and everything! 🙂

Liz J in Central Illinois’s last blog post..A VERY Rude Awakening!

I’m not amazed that I slept through it, although others in the area reported feeling it….I’m surprised Mr. Hot slept through it. Which means we got gypped. Or the Ann Arbor News is lying.

Ree’s last blog post..Living in a College Town

8. the ex says:

I heard this and I was like, “OH! I bet they’re going to talk about this for days.”

And the God smote me for being unsympathetic. I’m sorry!

the ex’s last blog post..Delete. Delete. Delete.

9. kir says:

Wow!!! i didn’t even hear about this until last night (at the pub, where i get all my news) — then i forgot all about it until I read yer blerg (darn delicious hard ciders). glad you’re OK – interesting fact: yesterday was the 102nd anniversary of the great 1906 San Fran quake. Ah, science.

kir’s last blog post..Home sweet hill

10. Danielle says:

It does not surprise me in the least that you slept through it! Sorry about the dizziness, you delicate flower, you.

11. K says:

I slept through it 🙂

K’s last blog post..thumbs down.

12. Cindi says:

Thank God for Blogs, or I’d never know what was going on in the world…thanks for letting me know about the Earthquake in Chicago. I thought they only happened out here in California too! Glad you’re OK (except for the headaches)

Cindi’s last blog post..Do It Yourself

13. Ashmystir says:

Slept through that eh?

What would you wake up to?

=)

Ashmystir’s last blog post..Today’s Power Thought:

14. Holy crap! I can’t believe you slept through an EARTHQUAKE. I wake up when Chris turns over in the bed, I’m pretty sure I’d be awake for days on end if I ever felt an earthquake. Glad you’re okay!

15. Laurel says:

You are quite a woman, Kristabella. Way to get your 8 hours in!

Laurel’s last blog post..Questions, Part Two: AS Edition

16. xerafhica says:

Wowser! That was amazing. You were in such a deep sleep.

xerafhicas last blog post..Watch True Blood Episode 11 Online | To Love is To Bury

17. ipanks says:

woww 5.2 on the Richter scale? its a really dangerous.i remember on earth quake in jogjakarta city in indonesia.its all ruin

ipankss last blog post..Take Your Mail

18. sara says:

yep,it’s really dangerous,how do we in such a deep sleep?

19. Rain says:

you blog is excellent!

20. petee says:

Thanks Kristabella, that’s really interesting.

21. How could an earthquake be an alarm clock? No not me, all my stuff here will topple down even a slight earth shake…
    .-= Plantar Fasciitis´s last blog ..Morton neuroma treatment =-.